Yes, there will be a 2021 Friends School Plant Sale!
The Plant Sale Committee has been hard at work planning the 2021 sale ever since the COVID-19 pandemic canceled the 2020 sale.
Although the sale will look and feel different in 2021 than in years past — for everyone's health and safety — it will still be the plant sale that you know and love.
We can't wait to see you in person at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds Mighty Midway area, May 6–9, 2021.
Seeds & Bulbs
Seeds — and, new this year, bulbs and bareroots! — will only be available for purchase online before the sale.
Buy your seeds, bulbs and bareroots March 1 — April 28. Learn more about how this will work.
This year, no wristbands! Instead, all customers and volunteers need to reserve a shopping time online.
What's new in 2021
In order to protect everyone's health and safety as much as we can, we're changing several aspects of the 2021 sale, including:
- It'll be entirely outdoors and in a new location. The 2021 sale will be in the large parking lot southwest of the Grandstand that becomes Mighty Midway during the State Fair.
- Everyone will sign up online for one shopping entry time before arriving at the plant sale, and once there, wear a mask and keep a distance from one another.
- The sale will be open on Thursday, one day more than usual. (The volunteer-only pre-sale will be on Wednesday, May 5.)
- All seeds, bulbs, and bareroots will be sold online only from March 1 to April 28. Seed orders will be mailed. Bulb orders will be held for you at the curbside pickup tent May 6–8 (you don't need to reserve an entry time for pickup).
- There will be no printed catalog, but the Find Plants section of our website has all the same information, plus photos and more.
- Because we'll be outside and everything will be exposed to the elements, there will be no hanging baskets and fewer cold-sensitive plants than we usually have.
- We can't accept cash at checkout — all payments must be by check, or credit/debit card. We will accept contactless cards and Apple Pay.
Our COVID-19 Preparedness Plan, which includes our cleaning protocols and specific procedures pertinent to volunteers, can be found here.
Keep in mind: The plans above may change if public health guidance changes. Join our email list to get updates.
About the sale
The Friends School Plant Sale is a fundraiser for Friends School of Minnesota, a small, independent, Quaker K-8 school in the Hamline-Midway neighborhood of Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Before COVID-19, the sale was one of largest of its kind in the U.S. The 2021 sale will be our 32nd year. We offer plants in these categories:
- Climbing Plants
- Miniatures and Succulents
- Native Wild Flowers
- Shrubs and Trees
- Unsual and Rare Plants
The sale is entirely volunteer-run, and it takes well over 1,000 people (plus several year-round committees) to put it together.
In addition to being part of a Twin Cities gardening tradition, volunteers get to shop at the volunteer-only presale the day before we open. Volunteer signups are now open through the week of the sale. Sign up here.